Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Hunter Wasserman

[ot-caption title=”A scene from the courtroom in To Kill a Mockingbird. (via Janet Roy)”]

On November 4th and 5th, Pine Crest’s Upper School performing arts department performed the play To Kill a Mockingbird, about the Tom Robinson court case taking place in Maycolm, Alabama in 1935. On the Stacy Auditorium Stage, Mrs. Ortega, the director of the play, presented background information about the novel and provided insight as to why this play was chosen in light of current events.  The characters agreed with Mrs. Ortega, and freshman Cayleigh Pine said, “I feel as though this play is extremely appropriate to show, since in today’s society, racism is still prevalent. Productions such as To Kill a Mockingbird are able to demonstrate what segregation was like in the past.” Overall, the cast did an outstanding job bringing to life the characters and doing justice to the a story of such conflict, emotion, and importance.The cast consisted of some major roles. Tommy Sullivan, junior, played the role of Atticus Finch, who he described as, “A complete defender of everything that is just and equal. He is a father who is compassionate and empathetic.” When acting it is important to really understand your character and even link your personality to that of the role. Explaining how this was done, Tommy said, “I try to view everyone as equals just as he does.”

Atticus’ children, Jim and Scout (Jean Louise), are major roles played by sophomore, Zack Shevin and freshman, Cayleigh Pine. The play also includes narration by Scout’s future self, Jean Louise played by junior, Noey Boldizar. Noey said, “It was cool to have my younger version of my character in the show. I would try to mirror her body language in order to convey our similarities.”

Preparing for these roles was no easy task. It required long, arduous practice with many hours and hard work. Junior Matthew Dardet, who played the role of Boo Radley, described this process as “an extremely entertaining and gratifying experience that culminated in the betterment of myself as both an actor and a person.”  Senior Ginger Hollander who played town gossip Stephanie Craw thinks, “Students can learn to be more tolerant of everyone around them and not to believe every absurd rumor they hear.”

Those who attended learned the importance of racial justice, as the impactful performance truly conveyed the effect racism has on our society. Congratulations to all those who performed and thanks to everyone who attended.

Slideshow Photos: Janet Roy

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Founder’s Council Assembly Shows PC Fine Arts Students’ Talents

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

All You Need to Know About Coachella 2017 from Performances to Fashion to Celebrities

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Comedy TV Capitalizes on the Presidency

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Chorus, Band, and Orchestra Perform Together at the Spring Concert

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Dogg Fight: Mock Assassination Sparks Outrage

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Chuck Berry: The Definition of Rock and Roll

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Drake’s Newest Project Has Even “More Life” than “Views”

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Pine Crest Honors Upperclassmen in the Arts with Founder’s Council

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Blogs

Kong’s Semi-Triumphant Return to the Big Screen

• Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird

Arts & Entertainment

Spring’s Biggest Movies are Sequels and Remakes

Fall Play: To Kill A Mockingbird