It’s That Time of the Year Again: Playing For Change

Catrina Reyes

[ot-caption title=”Senior Sofia Caro performing at Playing For Change during Homecoming 2016. (via Brittany Shore, senior)”] [spacer height=”20px”]

Following Ski Break, be on the lookout for one of Pine Crest’s most beloved events, the biannual charity performance Playing For Change. Run by students for the students, Playing for Change is a school-wide staple that brings together the PC community in support of the Broward community. It will be held in Stacy Auditorium on Feburary 24 at 6PM. [spacer height=”20px”]

All proceeds earned at Playing For Change are donated to Funding Arts Broward, a program that provides funding to fine arts programs at schools. Senior and co-head of Playing for Change, Juliette Pozzuoli has been performing in the student-run show throughout high school and really appreciates giving back to the community. [spacer height=”20px”]

“[Playing for Change] gives kids [in Broward] a chance to explore their musical or artistic passions like we do here at Pine Crest,” Juliette said. [spacer height=”20px”]

During last semester’s Playing For Change, freshman Maura Pliske absolutely loved Sofia Caro’s performance of “Seven Nation Army,” and even claimed to have been singing along with her from the audience. Fellow audience members like Maura are hoping for an equally exciting and energetic performance the second time around. Playing for Change is different than a typical band or orchestra concert; students can perform any genre of their choice and have the opportunity to musically express themselves in their own setting. [spacer height=”20px”]

“PFC is more of a contemporary concert with kids performing pop hits rather than most of the classical concerts on campus,” Juliette said. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

At the last concert, Pine Crest raised $1400, but co-heads Noa Weiner and Juliette Pozzuoli hope to top that this upcoming concert. Many people who take part in Playing For Change are very happy to support this wonderful program including veteran performer and senior Brett Koolik. [spacer height=”20px”]

“Playing for Change allows students to collaborate musically in a multitude of forms that benefit Funding Arts Broward. It’s a fun concert that I look forward to twice a year,” Brett said. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Playing For Change will take place on February 24th, a little later than past years when it has taken place during or right after Multicultural Week in the beginning of the month. Even though the concert will take place after break, performers now have more time to prepare for the acts. This year’s concert will feature a many returning performers including a mix-up performance from another PFC veteran, senior Carolina Salazar.

“I am so excited for this year’s performance. Every semester is so unique and fun. This time, I plan on singing a medley of throwback songs,” Carolina said. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

“I am always blown away by the insane amount of talent hidden among the student body, and the concert is always a lot of fun to not only be in, but also watch,” Noa said. [spacer height=”20px”]

Be sure to mark your calendars for February 24 and come out to support Playing For Change. Expect energetic and fun performances from your fellow talented Pine Crest Panthers. 

• It’s That Time of the Year Again: Playing For Change

Arts & Entertainment

Founder’s Council Assembly Shows PC Fine Arts Students’ Talents

Arts & Entertainment

All You Need to Know About Coachella 2017 from Performances to Fashion to Celebrities

Arts & Entertainment

Comedy TV Capitalizes on the Presidency

Arts & Entertainment

Chorus, Band, and Orchestra Perform Together at the Spring Concert

Arts & Entertainment

Dogg Fight: Mock Assassination Sparks Outrage

Arts & Entertainment

Chuck Berry: The Definition of Rock and Roll

Arts & Entertainment

Drake’s Newest Project Has Even “More Life” than “Views”

Arts & Entertainment

Pine Crest Honors Upperclassmen in the Arts with Founder’s Council

Blogs

Kong’s Semi-Triumphant Return to the Big Screen

Arts & Entertainment

Spring’s Biggest Movies are Sequels and Remakes