An All-You-Need-to-Know Rundown About Your Next Year Schedule

Clara Nguyen

[ot-caption title=”Students listen to an engaging discussion in Mr. Ricard’s AP Art History course. (via Rachel Rutstein, senior)”]

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Spring is in the air, and with it comes an exciting, yet sometimes confusing, time for Pine Crest students: selecting classes for the subsequent school year.  While students must take certain classes in order to fulfill graduation requirements, the wide array of options within each core discipline offers incredible flexibility.  With so many choices available, it’s best to take advantage of Pine Crest’s resources, teachers, and facilities in order to tailor your schedule to your interests and make the most of your high school career.  However, you’ll have to be discerning in your decision-making: there are only nine periods in a day, after all.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Technology is virtually (no pun intended) ubiquitous around the world, and coding is becoming a highly sought-after skill in the workplace.  In order to learn about computers, look no further than the math wing, where Pine Crest offers a variety of computer science courses.  Not only can students learn the basics of coding in AP Computer Science, but they can also explore Engineering Design and Robotics.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Perhaps the area in which students have the most freedom in choosing classes is the social sciences.  If history interests you, consider taking one of the many AP History classes offered at Pine Crest.  If history is less of an interest, psychology and economics are also among the many options of social sciences.  Students can also choose from several semester-long electives pertaining to a diverse range of topics, such as dictators, international relations, and the Cold War.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]The science department at Pine Crest also offers several year-long electives, such as Anatomy & Physiology and Marine Science, along with physics, biology, and chemistry courses.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]Finally, to make sculptures to display in a cabinet or paintings to hang up, consider taking a course in the visual arts.  To hone musical skills while acquiring the valuable experience of working in an ensemble, joining the band or orchestra would be the perfect choice.

[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]In conclusion, choose the classes that best suit your needs and interests.  Although you may have some difficult choices to make, Pine Crest’s experienced college counselors are always here to help. Mrs. Lisa Goldberg, Tenth Grade Dean, says, “When you have a choice in terms of class selection, it’s best to speak to your teacher and counselor, as well as students who have taken the class you’re interested in to gain insight from their experience.”  Selecting the best possible courses is a great first step for an enriching learning experience throughout the school year.

• An All-You-Need-to-Know Rundown About Your Next Year Schedule

Lifestyle

An Abridged History of Prom

Lifestyle

AP Survival Guide

Fashion

Relaxation Ready: All the Essentials for a Beachy Vacation

Lifestyle

A Student, Faculty, and Alumni Perspective on PC Technology

Lifestyle

The History of Cars through the Decades, from Ford’s Model T to Musk’s Tesla

Food

7 Quick and Healthy Snack Recipes To Make For School

Food

The Cafeteria: How Students Can Create Healthy Meals

Lifestyle

Top 10 Weekend Adventures in South Florida

Fashion

Fashion Month Photos to Refresh Your Style

Fashion

A Guide to Navigating the Spirit Store