Protests and Political Instability Continue in Venezuela

Daniela Gomez

[ot-caption title=”Venezuela is currently dealing with massive protests against the Maduro government.” (The Photographer/Wikimedia)”]

Venezuela was once heralded as the future of South America. The leading industrialized country in the 1970s is now in economic and political crisis. On March 30th, the Venezuelan Supreme Court all but stripped the National Assembly, the national legislative body of Venezuela, of its power and transferred it in part to President Nicolás Maduro. This move, a blatant play for dictatorship, sparked domestic and international outcry. The opposition to President Maduro’s left-wing government which had been struggling to attract traction among people mainly concerned with finding basic items such as food and toothpaste, immediately began to organize protests.  [spacer height=”20px”]

Two days later, the Supreme Court reversed its decision, but the damage was already done. The opposition, led by former presidential candidate Henrique Capriles, called marches during the week of April 10th, ending on Easter Sunday, and most recently, a mass protest in the streets of Caracas on Wednesday April 20th. Another galvanizing force for anti-Maduro protesters has been the government’s decision to forbid Henrique Capriles from seeking another presidential bid until 2032. Protests have been violent, with both protesters and the government police using force. The Venezuelan police, long acknowledged to be corrupt and inefficient, have been using tear gas on marchers, and even opened fire at some point. As of April 20th, at least nine protesters have been killed, including young students and adults. [spacer height=”20px”]

Protesters say they risk their safety to show the government they cannot take political prisoners indiscriminately or try to curtail their rights. The protesters are demanding that the government comply with several conditions to stop marching. The demands include holding general elections in 2017, releasing all political prisoners, including activist Leopoldo López, recalling the Supreme Court justices who were involved in taking away the National Assembly’s power, and finally creating a humanitarian channel for importing medication and aid to Venezuela to counteract the shortages.  [spacer height=”20px”]

The government shows no inclination to comply with any of these requirements, and President Maduro has claimed the opposition has wrongly accused the government of violence against civilians. [spacer height=”20px”]

Secretary General of the OAS Luis Almagro has been an outspoken critic of the government in Venezuela and its treatment of civilians. When asked about the turmoil in the Latin American country, Almagro blamed the government, saying President Maduro’s hands are “dirty with blood” of protesters and innocent civilians who are being stripped of their rights, and even of basic living conditions. [spacer height=”20px”]

What comes next in Venezuela is uncertain, with protests showing no signs of abating and a government in no mood to negotiate. For the time being, more protests are expected, with a certain level of violence from both the police and the protesters. Pine Crest Junior Muguet Rodríguez, who is Venezuelan, believes “The only way things will get better in my home country is for people to keep protesting, and to not passively accept the government’s mistreatment.”  [spacer height=”20px”]

It is a crucial time for the future of this country, and hopefully both sides can come to a compromise on these issues. [spacer height=”20px”]
Sources: NPR, Newsweek, The Guardian, BBC, Los Angeles Times, Miami Herald, Reuters

Photo Source: Wikimedia

• Protests and Political Instability Continue in Venezuela

News

Trump’s Foreign Policy Evolving in North Korea, Syria, and Afghanistan

News

Turkey’s Referendum Rocks European Politics

News

PC Government Seminar Impacting Local Communities Through Civic Engagement

News

PC Students Look Forward to March of the Living Trip

National

AHCA pulled from the House in Dramatic Capitol Hill Twist

News

TEDx at PC: Ideas Worth Spreading

National

A Politics Update: What’s Going on in Congress and in the White House

News

Richard Guerry Takes the Stage

News

Syria in Crisis

News

A Look at the Israel-Palestine Conflict