When Do You Want School To Start?

Tara Shecter

[ot-caption title=”PC students getting back in to the swing of things for the school year (via, Sabine Katsoulos)”]

Generally speaking, schools in the Southern region of the United States have earlier starting dates than schools in the Northeastern part of the country. Schools in the South, including Florida, Georgia, and Texas, start earlier in the month of August, while schools in the Northeast, like New York, Massachusetts, and Maine, start closer to September. This year, Pine Crest had orientation on Monday and Tuesday, August 17 and 18, and then officially started school on Wednesday, August 19.

Many students have conflicting feelings about this early starting date. The late ending dates of summer camps is certainly something to consider. Some students feel that the earlier start to school did not give them enough time to adjust to coming home after being away for many weeks. Sophomore Stefy Grau stated, “The problem I have with starting earlier is sleep away camps tend to end in August, so you don’t have much time to prepare mentally, physically, or emotionally before the first day of school.” Grau’s argument was also supported by Sophomore Andie Weinberg who said, “This year I got back from sleep away camp exactly one week before school started. I was so sleep deprived and emotionally exhausted, and the thought of going back to studying and homework so quickly was completely overwhelming.”

On the other hand, some students like the early start to a brand new school year. Senior Hailey Weinberg explained, “I think that it is better, honestly. Obviously it is not the best feeling when summer ends, but to get back into the swing of things is kind of a nice feeling. It is like getting a head start on anything, it feels good.” Sophomore Tessa Gulley added, “I do not mind the early start because we all have the same amount of school. I am used to the Florida school system anyway.” Sophomore Sophie Shapiro makes the logical point that because we start earlier, we also end earlier. Schools in the Northeast, however, start late and end late. She argued, “I would rather end earlier so you have more time to prepare for camp, or a summer job, or something else as opposed to the New York kids who finish school the day before camp starts.”

This controversial topic has been widely discussed in the first few weeks of school. Nevertheless, the school year is underway for the Pine Crest Panthers. Regardless of the date,  everyone has embraced the start of school and is getting into the routine of the 2015-2016 school year.

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

13 Opinions on 13 Reasons Why

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

Is Internet Privacy a Thing of the Past?

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Arts & Entertainment

Dogg Fight: Mock Assassination Sparks Outrage

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

Trump’s Risky Tweets

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Election 2016

Neutrality & Censorship: Politics’ Role in the Classroom

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

The Great Dilemma of Our Time: Lunch On-campus or Off-campus?

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

Prolific Protests: Prosperous or Problematic?

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

Smunday Funday: A “National Holiday” Sweeping the Football Nation

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

A Letter From the Editors: Fishing Out Fake News

• When Do You Want School To Start?

Opinion

Facebook Live: Beyond the Screen

When Do You Want School To Start?