Artist of the Week: Grace Correa

[ot-caption title=” Grace Correa, sophomore, is a sculptor. (via Rachel Rutstein, Junior)”]

This week we took the time to interview PC’s own sculptor Grace Correa. She gave us some inside information on what it’s like to be a sculptor and some of her sculpting methods used to create her pieces. As of now she has created many different forms of sculptures using various  mediums.

T1: How old were you when you started sculpting?

Grace: I began when I was fourteen years old.

T1: What is your medium of choice?

Grace: I really like working with clay because you can do whatever you want with it. Not counting lower school, I began when I was fourteen years old.

Grace Correa Creative Expressions
Untitled (via Grace Correa, Sophomore)

T1: What influences your art?

Grace: I guess just everything in life. For example, if you see a really cool painting or design and want to incorporate it in your art, that helps.

T1: Why do you enjoy sculpting? What’s your favorite thing about it?

Grace: I enjoy it because it is fun, and it is also an outlet for creativity. I guess just how you can create whatever you want with it, and it’s interesting to look at it. Also, all the different mediums you can use.

T1: Why did you decide to start sculpting?

Grace: When you make your schedule in 8th grade, there are a ton of different options. Sculpting was a last minute thing for me, because I checked it off to get my credits.  Then I realized in 9th grade that I actually really liked it.

Grace Correa Creative Expressions
Untitled (via Grace Correa, Sophomore)

T1: What is your favorite quote?

Grace: I’m also a dancer so my dance teachers pounded this into my head, “Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.” I guess when you just work really hard at something you can become better at it.

T1: What is some important knowledge you’ve gained from sculpting?

Grace: If you think you can’t do something try it anyway. Some of the things I don’t think I can do end up turning out the coolest.

T1: How will you use art for the rest of high school career and your future career?

Grace: I don’t really think I want to a career in art, but the creativity that it has taught me, I’ll use in everything.

Grace Correa Creative Expressions
Untitled (via Grace Correa, Sophomore)

T1: What has your biggest challenge in sculpting been?

Grace: Sometimes I try to make things that are not possible, but I still try it, and then I end up having to alter it because it doesn’t really work.

Grace Correa Creative Expressions
Untitled (via Grace Correa, Sophomore)

T1: Biggest accomplishment?

Grace: Being able to do art and the fact that I wanted to do it, even though I didn’t know I could at the beginning of high school.

T1: How would you describe your creative process?

Grace: Well first I think about what (material) I’m using, and then I sketch my ideas multiple times, then choose the best one and go with it.

Grace Correa Creative Expressions
Untitled (via Grace Correa, Sophomore)

T1: What are two words to describe yourself?

Grace: Creative and energetic.

T1: What do you hope people will take away from your work?

Grace: Just be creative and if you don’t think you can do something do it anyways because it will be fun even if you fail.