Filed under SPORTS, WINTER SPORTS

Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

[ot-caption title=”The Girls Basketball team will look to build off their 17-4 record a year ago. (via Julia Engelhardt, sophomore)”][spacer height=”20px”]

The winter sports season has finally begun, and the Lady Panthers Basketball team is back on the court, ready to dribble, shoot, and score their way to the top. Currently holding a record of 3-1, the girls are looking forward to an exciting season as the year progresses.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Having only lost one senior from last year’s team, this year’s group of talented players knows how to work and play together effectively. Led by two senior captains who are veterans to the team, Valeria de las Casas and Alli Stilisky, the Lady Panthers could not be in better hands. Other senior members of the team, Chase Shea and Jackie Procacci, are also ready to give their all for the team on and off the court.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The team is also coming back from an outstanding season last year where the girls held an impressive record of 17-4. They are prepared to come back and do it again.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Junior point guard Sophie Shapiro, a returning member of the varsity squad, stated, “I’m looking forward to playing against Cardinal Gibbons this year because they were the team that knocked us out of districts last year. As a team, we’re excited to get a lot of support from fans, and we all can’t wait to see how the rest of the season goes.”[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Returning varsity member and sophomore guard Haley Mordis remarked, “Last year we had a great season, but this year we believe we can go far, too. I think we have a lot more trust in each other on and off of the court this year, which will help us accomplish our goals this year.” [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Apart from the players, the girls’ basketball team is also welcoming back returning coaching staff led by head coach Dave O’Connell and assistant coach John Gorman. When asked what he was most looking forward to this season, Coach O’Connell replied, “I’m looking forward to a very successful season with this group of girls. They’re older this year, they’re more experienced, and we’re a little deeper on the bench, so I’m looking forward to getting to a district championship.”[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

His words demonstrate that the team this year is qualified to go far, and Pine Crest could not be more ready to support the players on their endeavor.  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

As the girls continue to work hard during practice every day, their skills and teamwork can only improve. The team played Saint Andrews on Monday November 21, and will play Trinity Christian Academy next Monday, November 28, at 6 pm.

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

SPORTS

Girls Cross Country Crowned As Back to Back State Champions

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

BEYOND PC

Sunshine State Football Turned Upside Down in 2017

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

SPORTS

Girls’ Basketball Playing Fierce

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

BEYOND PC

Evaluating The Contenders For The College Football Playoff

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

FALL SPORTS

Panthers Volleyball Triumphs in Regional Championship, Falls in State Semifinal

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

SPORTS

Varsity Soccer Teams Set Sights On Districts

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

BEYOND PC

Verlander, Springer Lead Astros to First World Series Title

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

BEYOND PC

Where Exactly Are the Miami Dolphins Heading?

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

FALL SPORTS

Crew Team Competes at the Head of the Charles for First Time in School History

• Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins

FALL SPORTS

Fall Teams Sweep Districts for the First Time in School History

Slam Dunk: Girls Basketball Begins