The Age of Talent: The Rise and Fall of the Talent Shows

[ot-caption title=” America’s Got Talent is quickly becoming one of TV’s most popular talent shows. (via, NBC)”]

Talent shows are staples of television around the world. From The Voice to Dancing with the Stars, people often become enamored with the contestants, their talent, and the relationships between the coaches. The promise of turning everyday people into celebrities draws huge amounts of talented, and not so talented, people as they seek to become stars.  While shows like American Idol and X Factor used to dominate the talent scene, drawing millions of viewers, they no longer hold the same precedence in the viewer’s minds and other talent shows are now taking over.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

In its peak, American Idol produced huge stars like Carrie Underwood, Kelly Clarkson, and Adam Lambert, while X Factor is famous for putting together bands like One Direction and Little Mix. Judge Simon Cowell was a large reason that people tuned in every week.  When Simon left, the show had 30 million viewers but only pulled 9 million when it was cancelled.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

“Fewer people watched American Idol because no one got famous from it at the end of its run,” senior Kylie Bruder said.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Many people agreed with her sentiments, as last year Fox announced that it would be cancelling American Idol after a final season that has since concluded. While previous shows like American Idol have gotten the chop, shows like America’s Got Talent have been on the rise.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

America’s Got Talent is rising in popularity because it’s so entertaining,” senior Ariana Altieri said. “It’s not just singing, and there are things you wouldn’t normally see.”

Acts include singers, contortionists, knife-throwers, comedians, and dance acts. The show is fascinating for viewers because they never know what they’re going to see next.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Another show that has captured viewers is The Voice. The Voice consists of a blind audition round, in which the judges choose who they want on their team solely based on the voice they hear.  Whereas in other shows the choosing often factors in whether or not the person looks or acts “like a star,” the voice is dedicated to finding “the voice.”[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

“I believe The Voice is a show that’s rising because it places emphasis on the process,” said Senior Katherine Jovanovic, a big proponent of The Voice. “You get to see well-known artists coach the contestants behind the scenes in addition to the phenomenal performances,” she explained.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Dancing with the Stars is another show rising in popularity. [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

“On Dancing with the Stars, the stars are getting less and less famous, making fewer people want to watch,” said Kylie Bruder who is skeptic of the rising popularity of Dancing with the Stars. However, with Olympic gold medalist Laurie Hernandez winning this last season, many say that the show is the one to watch.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Although the age of the singing competition may be over, it’s only the beginning for talent shows, and the age of talent is far from over.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Image Source: Wikipedia Commons

Sources: Billboard.com, Timeline.com, NBC.com, People.com

• The Age of Talent: The Rise and Fall of the Talent Shows

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Pixar Has New Films Lined Up

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

BBC Music Reveals “Sound of 2018” Longlist

BLOGS

Wonder is Wonderful

BLOGS

Justice League is a Complete and Total Mess

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

NEHS Takes Miami

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Netflix Removes Many Hit Programs

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Disney Makes LGBTQ History

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

“House of Cards” Crumbles

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Netflix Releases “Stranger Things 2”

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Pine Crest Upper School Presents the Musical, “Kiss Me, Kate”