Filed under SPORTS, SPRING SPORTS

PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

[ot-caption title=”The girls’ softball team is lead by five captains representing three different grades. (via Jessi Gross, sophomore)”][spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The Pine Crest Girls Varsity Softball team is fired up and ready to go.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The girls started their year off on a high note, kicking off the season with a 24-11 win against Coral Springs Christian High School this February. Leading the team is all-star group of captains made up of girls from three different grades: seniors Katherine Poppiti, Alli Sillitsky, junior Nikki Kone, and sophomores Sami Restrepo and Alli Trebbi.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Trebbi said that one of the goals for the softball team was to “play better and smarter.” Coach Mike Thompson is the head coach of the team, and Laura Stafford and Brittany Thompson are the assistant coaches. They are key to the team’s success. As Trebbi put it, “They fit with our team like a glove.” [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Last year’s team saw no new additions, but as for this year, lone freshman Madison Metz became part of the team and is set to make an impact. According to Madison, the team’s vibrant dynamic is what she loves most about being a part of the Lady Panther Squad, “I like that everyone is older, they’re all like big sisters to me. It’s invigorating.”  [spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

The girls have a solid record of three wins and five losses so far this season, with their most challenging game against the reigning 5-time state champion, Coral Springs Charter. They happen to be one of the many tough teams in the Lady Panthers’ district, which junior Karlie Pollock simply called “unfortunate.” However, the greater potential for this team lies not within the strengths of their competitors, but rather within upholding the positive mindset that this team is best at.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

Returning captain and key contributor the success of the team, sophomore Sami Restrepo noted that moving forward it is essential that they “keep learning, keep practicing, and keeping the dynamic positive and fun.” She is able to see past the scoreboard and more in the fundamentals of the game.

“Winning the game is great, but the real feeling of winning comes from practicing and knowing we’ve got it right,” Sami said.[spacer height=”10px” id=”2″]

With 15 games left to be played in the season, there is plenty of room to “touch base” with inner potential and continue to improve. By working hard, leading through example, and having little bit of fun, a winning season is surely achievable for Coach Mike Thompson’s bunch. All it takes is stepping up to the plate.

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

SPORTS

Girls Cross Country Crowned As Back to Back State Champions

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

BEYOND PC

Sunshine State Football Turned Upside Down in 2017

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

SPORTS

Girls’ Basketball Playing Fierce

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

BEYOND PC

Evaluating The Contenders For The College Football Playoff

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

FALL SPORTS

Panthers Volleyball Triumphs in Regional Championship, Falls in State Semifinal

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

SPORTS

Varsity Soccer Teams Set Sights On Districts

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

BEYOND PC

Verlander, Springer Lead Astros to First World Series Title

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

BEYOND PC

Where Exactly Are the Miami Dolphins Heading?

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

FALL SPORTS

Crew Team Competes at the Head of the Charles for First Time in School History

• PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang

FALL SPORTS

Fall Teams Sweep Districts for the First Time in School History

PC Girls’ Softball Back With A Bang