New ABC Drama, “The Good Doctor,” Becomes a Hit

Junior+Shayne+Pollock+watches+the+premiere+of+%22The+Good+Doctor%22+on+ABC.+%28via%2C+Shayne+Pollock%29+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Junior Shayne Pollock watches the premiere of

Junior Shayne Pollock watches the premiere of "The Good Doctor" on ABC. (via, Shayne Pollock)

On September 25th, 2017, ABC released a new medical drama, The Good Doctor. This hit show is becoming increasingly popular, and, according to a Google study, 97% of users would recommend the show to a friend; it even tops The Big Bang Theory in domestic viewership.  The Good Doctor centers around Shaun Murphy (Freddie Highmore), who happens to have autism, nearly photographic memory, and the stellar ability to notice minute changes in patients. He struggles to prove his abilities to his coworkers, who cannot see past his developmental disorder. Murphy experiences prejudice and doubt from his coworkers, among others. Junior Shayne Pollock, a fan of the show, shared her opinion: “I really love how the producer incorporated all sides of Shawns personality, including the bad, as it creates a message that even those that have their own disadvantages can still succeed.”

Along with Murphy, other characters in The Good Doctor help make the show as popular as it is, including Neil Melendez (Nicholas Gonzalez), Claire Browne (Antonia Thomas), Jared Kalu (Chukuma Modu), Marcus Andrews (Hill Harper), and Aaron Glassman (Richard Schiff). Like in other medical dramas, this team works together in and out of the hospital, each displaying his or her own unique characteristics. Neil Melendez is an intelligent yet arrogant attending surgeon who calls all the shots. Both a sweet and bold woman, Claire Browne is not as curt as the front she puts on. Jared Kalu is man who is always aspiring to be at the top, even if it is at the expense of his fellow peers. The chief of surgery, Marcus Andrews, is a man who always plans ahead to ensure his success in a situation. Aaron Glassman is the president of the hospital as well as a guardian and mentor to Murphy, and he has known the him for years. All these actors join together to create a new spin on this hit medical drama.

From just the very first episode, it is evident that Murphy has skills unlike those of any other doctor and is overqualified in an educational sense. However, Melendez makes it clear in later episodes that he disapproves of Murphy’s lack of communication skills and is determined to leave him to trivial tasks such as that of suction duty within a surgery and the tedious task of discharging patients. Murphy takes this all in stride and is determined to use every opportunity, no matter how small, as a way to learn and grow. Junior Rose Rothschild said, “Shawn does not conform to the common characteristics of a doctor, and so I really love how this show offers a refreshing perspective on the field of medicine.”  The Good Doctor revolves around the obstacles Murphy has to overcome to reach his dream to become a surgeon, and, as the show continues, it is sure to include more drama and rack up more stellar reviews.

The Good Doctor airs on ABC, Mondays at 10 PM.

Sources: Vulture, Google, imdb

• New ABC Drama, “The Good Doctor,” Becomes a Hit

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Movie Recaps: Captain Marvel, Five Feet Apart, Us

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Alice in Wonderland: A Pine Crest Ballet

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Luke Perry’s Death Shocks 90210 and Riverdale Fans

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

The Black Keys are Back

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

2019 Academy Awards in Review

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Recap of Almost, Maine

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Almost, Maine is Almost Here!

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Sadie Preview

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Hamilton Comes to Fort Lauderdale

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Christmas Cheer Brought by Movies