Filed under OPINION

Out of the Classroom: The Blended Learning Experience

Students in Post-AP or Seminar courses spend two days a week in the traditional classroom setting.

Anna Selden

Anna Selden

Pine Crest High School has introduced a new program for upperclassmen this year. The “Blended Learning” program takes a new approach toward promoting student creativity. This program caters to students who take either a Seminar or Post-AP course. These students attend a typical 45 minute class twice a week rather than the regular five times that is required of other courses. The philosophy behind this concept is that it allows students to practice independent, college-style study techniques while exploring various projects and creative assignments that come with this new style of learning.

Senior Jack Rubin takes Contemporary Nonfiction Post-AP and attends this English class only on Tuesdays and Thursdays because of the new system. He shared his thoughts about on the Blended Learning program by saying, “It’s a great idea. I think that it gives students a lot of extra time for creative aspects of the class.”

Along with speaking to several students who participate in the unique Blended Learning program, I spoke with Mr. Kashdan of the social science department. He teaches a Post-AP Political Economy Seminar class that takes part in the Blended Learning program this year. Mr. Kashdan explained that teaching the class under this new system is not much different than the way he would approach a normal class. He also explains that he assigns work on the days that they do not report to class in order to ensure that, while not in the classroom, students are still engaged in the course.

As a freshman, I think that the idea of the Blended Learning system is somethingnew and interesting. It is an approach to learning and creativity that I had neither heard of nor considered before. I believe that the success of this program should be evaluated at the end of the year in order to determine how it should be implemented or changed in years to come.

• Out of the Classroom: The Blended Learning Experience

OPINION

Politics as a Team Sport?

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Awards Show Speeches and Politics

OPINION

Do Vegetarians Have the Right to Judge Others for Eating Meat?

• OPINION

Why the Oklahoma Teacher Walkouts Are So Important

OPINION

Capital Punishment Editorial

OPINION

School Walkouts Sweep South Florida

OPINION

Gun Policy Change Is a Must After MSD

OPINION

An Interview with Congressman Ted Deutch

OPINION

The Path Toward Social Justice

OPINION

To Listen or Not to Listen: Protesting at the State of the Union