Music’s Most Exciting Night

Singer+Bruno+Mars+was+the+biggest+winner+of+the+2018+Grammys%2C+winning+six+awards+in+one+night.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Music’s Most Exciting Night

Singer Bruno Mars was the biggest winner of the 2018 Grammys, winning six awards in one night.

Prayitno via Flickr

Prayitno via Flickr

Prayitno via Flickr

The Grammy Awards Show, which took place on January 28, 2018, started off the new year in music, as the show celebrated musical achievements of the previous year and made way for new achievements in the coming year.

Arguably, the biggest winner of the night was Bruno Mars, who won six Grammys: Album of the Year and Best R&B Album for 24K Magic, Record of the Year for “24K Magic,” and Song of the Year, Best R&B Song, and Best R&B Performance for “That’s What I Like.” Another big winner was Kendrick Lamar, who swept the rap categories, winning five Grammys. Other notable winners include Alessia Cara for Best New Artist and Ed Sheeran’s “Shape of You” for Best Pop Solo Performance.

However, the night was not all about the awards. Celebrities took to the red carpet and brought their fashion A-game. Some outfits that stood out were Lady Gaga’s voluminous black gown with a lace top, Cardi B’s eclectic white, frilly dress, and Camila Cabello’s stunning red strapless dress.

Additionally, the #MeToo movement took center stage for the night, as stars wore white roses with their outfits to stand in solidarity with the movement. During Kesha’s performance of “Praying,” other female singers and the Resistance Revival Chorus joined her on stage. Other artists who took the stage included Childish Gambino performing “Terrified,” Bruno Mars and Cardi B singing “Finesse,” and SZA singing “Broken Clocks.”

When asked about her favorite Grammy performance, junior Rosie Rothschild replied, “I loved watching Kesha’s empowering performance with all of the other female artists and the chorus joining her onstage, and I was also very entertained by Bruno Mars’ and Cardi B’s performance of their remix of ‘Finesse’ just because it was very fun to see their energy and liveliness while singing.”

The 2018 Grammys marked a historical moment for Bruno Mars, whose awards placed him into an elite category of ten artists who won best album, record, and song in the same year. The show attracted several popular music stars and showcased the hits of 2017.  

Sources: USA Today, Billboard, CNN, NPR, Grammy Awards

Photo Source: Prayitno via Flickr

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

2019 Academy Awards in Review

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Recap of Almost, Maine

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Almost, Maine is Almost Here!

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Sadie Preview

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Hamilton Comes to Fort Lauderdale

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Christmas Cheer Brought by Movies

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

‘Tis the Season for Holiday Tunes

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

“The Simpsons” Says Goodbye to Apu Character

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

A Shocking Split Startles Fans

• Music’s Most Exciting Night

ARTS & ENTERTAINMENT

Wildcats in the House!

Music’s Most Exciting Night