Filed under NEWS, SCHOOL

Post-AP Gov Seminar: We the People State Champions

The+Post-AP+Government+and+Politics+class+is+seen+here+just+before+going+onto+claiming+the+state+title+in+the+We+the+People+Competition.++
The Post-AP Government and Politics class is seen here just before going onto claiming the state title in the We the People Competition.

Courtesy of Hannah Saunders

Courtesy of Hannah Saunders

Mrs. Everett and her 2018 Government and Politics Seminar class have had a very eventful and victorious start to the new year. As part of the seminar class, students engage in a competition called “We the People,” a simulated congressional hearing where students act as experts in six specific areas regarding the United States government. Those areas include historical and philosophical foundations of government, the formation of the Constitution, the evolution of the Constitution and Declaration of Independence, institutions of the government, civil rights and liberties, and 21st century challenges to our constitutional democracy.

On January 16th, Mrs. Everett’s twenty-one students competed in the district level competition and advanced to the state competition. The state-level competition took place this past Friday, February 2nd in Orlando, Florida at State Seminole College. The team won, which means they will be advancing to the We the People national competition in Washington D.C. from April 27th to May 1st.

Senior Michael Stolzenberg had this to say about his experience with the competition, “it was a great experience competing, and I learned so much in the process.  I look forward to competing at Nationals.”

In addition to their team win, units are judged for their performance and work throughout the competition. This year, Unit 5, consisting of Sophie Sanda, Sophie Shapiro, Karlie Pollock, and Skylar Pollock, won best group discussing Unit 5 at the competition for their strong constitutional knowledge.

Mrs. Everett said of her students’ performance in the competition, “I thought we had strong performances all day! The team really came together, helped each other prepare, and had an impressive showing. It was fantastic to have our efforts recognized. I’m looking forward continuing this enthusiasm as we prepare for Nationals in April.”

Congratulations to the Pine Crest Government and Politics Seminar class on their achievements and commendable work throughout the competition.  We look forward to seeing their continued success in Washington later this year.

• Post-AP Gov Seminar: We the People State Champions

NATIONAL

Larry Nassar Confronted by Accusers, Sentenced by Judge Aquilina

NEWS

Government & Politics Students Take On We the People

NEWS

Mosque Massacre in Sinai Peninsula

NATIONAL

FCC Plans to Scrap Net Neutrality Rules in a Boon to Telecom

NEWS

Powerful Earthquake Devastates Iran-Iraq Border

NATIONAL

Republican Senatorial Hopeful Roy Moore Steeped in Sexual Assault

NATIONAL

Democrats Dominate Virginia Elections

NATIONAL

Senator Rand Paul Assaulted at Kentucky Home

NEWS

A Changing Saudi Arabia

NEWS

Xi Jinping’s Consolidation of Power