Filed under NEWS, SCHOOL

StuCo Elections Set Stage for 2018-2019 School Year

Junior Rosie Rothschild delivered her StuCo president candidacy speech to the student body on April 11th (via Junior Audrey Hollo).

Audrey Hollo

Audrey Hollo

It may not be November, but it is election season at Pine Crest. With so many different races going on, it is important to understand the roles of the different bodies within StuCo. The Pine Crest student government is comprised of the judiciary committee, the steering committee, the executive board, and the class boards.

First off is the judiciary committee; each grade has two judiciary members, one from each campus, who are selected in eighth grade by administration through applications. The 2018-2019 members of the judiciary committee will be rising seniors Noah Fischer and Harrison Friedman, rising juniors Frank Belette and Jared Gould, rising sophomores Maya el Sharif and Jordan Shiff, and two freshmen who have not yet been determined. The judiciary committee oversees clubs and makes sure that all clubs follow StuCo protocol by submitting forms and having a certain number of meetings.

Next is the steering committee; the student council selects steering committee members based on applications. Each year, this committee is led by two seniors who have previously served on it, and the steering committee heads are also a part of the overall executive board. The steering committee’s responsibilities include helping to plan and set up for StuCo activities and spreading school spirit. Events such as the Homecoming dance, the Sadie Hawkins dance, and the StuCo tailgate would not be possible without the committee’s planning.

The executive board is comprised of the leaders of each branch of student government, and the StuCo president is in charge of the board. The StuCo presidential election took place on April 11th, and resulted in junior Rosie Rothchild being elected student council president. At the start of the next school year, Rosie will take over from current senior Zack Shevin.

Speaking to her election win, Rosie said, “It is inspiring to know that the school has faith in me, and I hope to prove that in the year to come.”

As StuCo president, Rosie will be responsible for assembling the executive board to plan events such as Homecoming week and FebFest.

Finally, the class board elections were held on April 18. The main responsibility of the class boards is to organize their individual grade’s efforts for Homecoming week, such as signing up people for certain events and collecting supplies. Besides Homecoming, members of the class boards collaborate with class sponsors as the student body’s voice in planning class trips and t-shirts.

Zack Shevin, the current StuCo president, summed up Pine Crest’s student government well: “My understanding is we enforce the will of the student body.”

All officers have the same general goal, and each one will take on their own responsibilities to best achieve this. With next year’s StuCo leaders set in stone, student democracy is alive and well, and students can be sure their voices are being heard.

• StuCo Elections Set Stage for 2018-2019 School Year

NATIONAL

Students’ Fight to End Gun Violence Continues in National School Walkout

NEWS

Deadly Incident on Southwest Airlines Flight

NEWS

Mothers Against Drunk Driving Visits Pine Crest

NATIONAL

West Contemplates Response to Syria Chemical Attack

NATIONAL

A Powerful Movement: The March for Our Lives

NEWS

Shake ‘n’ Bake Competition Takes the Cake

NATIONAL

Trump Accepts Kim’s Offer for Nuclear Talks

NATIONAL

Florida Passes First Gun Control Measures in Years

NATIONAL

Trump Institutes New Steel and Aluminum Tariffs

NEWS

Pine Crest DECA, TSA, and Model UN Delegations Excel