Filed under FOOD, LIFESTYLE

Do Cookies “Bake” Your Day?: Merging of Student Store and Student Union Café

The complete selection at the updated Student Union Café.

Anna Selden

Anna Selden

At the start of the 2018-2019 school year, Pine Crest students were surprised to hear that the Student Store had closed. Mary-Ellen State now runs the Student Union Café, which merges elements from the original café and the Student Store. The Student Union Café now sells baked goods and coffee, as well as snacks like chips and pretzels.

As Mary-Ellen explained, “It’s been an adjustment for [her] and the kids.” In many ways, the merging of the two stores is beneficial to the student body. Now everyone’s favorite snacks are all in the same place. Additionally, the Student Union Café is open during lunch periods, when the Student Store was previously closed. Type One talked to some students waiting in line at the café to hear their opinions on the merger.

Junior Alana van Woerkom said, “I like when the Union smells like cookies, but the line is usually too long. I think there were more snacks at the Student Store.”

Although most of the snack choices have remained the same, there is not enough space for the same variety of choices with only one storefront. Also, this merger has made for a longer line. The Café is often crowded, especially during lunch periods, with about ten or so students waiting on line at a time to order.  

Danielle Weisfisch ’20 has similar opinions. She said, “Although the line is too long and [she doesn’t] go as often, the cookies are just as good.”

Over the course of the 2018-2019 school year, the Pine Crest community will have to adjust to the changes of this merger. But no matter where they are served, student store cookies will surely remain a favorite for many high school students.

• Do Cookies “Bake” Your Day?: Merging of Student Store and Student Union Café

FOOD

Everything in Bowls: How and Why the Food Bowl Trend Has Become So Popular

FOOD

I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for (the) Ice Cream (Museum)

FOOD

No Tricks, Just Treats!

FOOD

Pumpkin Spice: Top 10 Hottest Products

FOOD

7 Quick and Healthy Snack Recipes To Make For School

FOOD

The Cafeteria: How Students Can Create Healthy Meals

FOOD

The Cookie Crumbles: An Inside Scoop on the Student Store

FOOD

The Best Bites of South Florida: An Eating Experience

FOOD

Mini Turkey Pumpkin Pie Recipe

FOOD

Gobble, Gobble! A Turkey Recipe You’ll Make Year-round