Filed under NEWS, SCHOOL, WEEK IN REVIEW

FebFest: A Week in Review

Back to Article
Back to Article

FebFest: A Week in Review

Carnival-themed Sadie Hawkins dance posters were plastered around school to advertise the first event of FebFest, which also included dress down days and the multicultural assembly.

FebFest brought together the student body by shining a light on students’ different backgrounds. The Sadie dance began the festivities, followed by three dress down days and the multicultural assembly.

Sadie Hawkins was a unique dance because it took place outdoors and reversed traditional gender roles with creative proposals. Many girls were seen in the hallways before Sadie with funny costumes and posters ready to ask guys to the dance.

At Sadie, students dressed as their favorite dynamic duos and spent time playing carnival games and listening to Neon Bull, a band comprised of PC students. Students not only dressed up as their favorite movie characters but also competed against their peers to win the best costume competition.

“I came up with my costume by thinking of the last great movie I saw which was Bohemian Rhapsody, so I decided to come as Freddie Mercury,” said freshman Holden Goldberg, the winner of the costume contest. “I got to see my friends in creative costumes rather than their regular uniforms.”

During the week of FebFest, students were excited to replace their uniforms with fun costumes. The students had three opportunities to dress down. Wednesday was beverage day, where students dressed up based on the names of drinks, such as the island-themed Hawaiian Punch and the first responder-themed lemon-AID. Thursday was the day of the Multicultural Assembly, so students expressed their diverse cultural backgrounds with t-shirts and flags. Friday was the customary generations day in which students dressed up as everything from babies to senior citizens depending on their grade level.

Students in multicultural clubs prepared weeks in advance to show their pride for their cultures through songs, dances, and poetry.

“BSA practiced from four to six every day to prepare,” freshman Denae Boothe said. “Although it was a lengthy process, it was really fun to spend time with the BSA and try to copy other group dances while we practiced.”

FebFest helped students celebrate diversity and enjoy their peers’ presence. Moments as simple as dance practice brought students together to celebrate their common heritage and showcase it. By the end of the assembly, students stood up to clap for their peers, uniting the student body to embrace all cultures.

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NATIONAL

The Government Shutdown, Explained

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NEWS

From the Classroom to the Court

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NATIONAL

School Jewish Community Reflects on Tree of Life Shooting

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NEWS

Post-AP Political Science Students Promote Civic Engagement via Mock Election

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NATIONAL

Bombs Sent to Prominent Democrats

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NATIONAL

Students Engage in Midterm Elections

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NATIONAL

Judge Brett Kavanaugh Confirmed to the Supreme Court

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NATIONAL

Students’ Fight to End Gun Violence Continues in National School Walkout

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NEWS

Deadly Incident on Southwest Airlines Flight

• FebFest: A Week in Review

NEWS

StuCo Elections Set Stage for 2018-2019 School Year

FebFest: A Week in Review