Filed under NEWS, SCHOOL

From the Classroom to the Court

Senior+Brian+Anderson+runs+towards+the+hoop+with+the+basketball+as+Mr.+Mark+Spitzig+follows.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

From the Classroom to the Court

Senior Brian Anderson runs towards the hoop with the basketball as Mr. Mark Spitzig follows.

Anna Selden

Anna Selden

Anna Selden

The entire Upper School congregated on March 1st in the Stacy Gym to enjoy the annual Student vs. Faculty basketball game. Boys and girls from the varsity basketball game teamed up against the Upper School teachers in an hour-long match at the end of the day with one teacher and one student as referees monitoring the game. Traditionally, the event overlaps with Sadie Week, but the date was changed to the Friday after Ski Week, concluding a successful season for both basketball teams.

The Student vs. Faculty Basketball Game has become a great way to bond with peers and elicit a rivalry between students and teachers.

“The best part about playing in the Student vs. Faculty game is that we get to see another side of the faculty as they compete and show off their basketball skills,” senior Haley Mordis explained. “It’s entertaining and fun to be a part of.”

The teachers, despite having less basketball experience than the student varsity players, were happy to participate, with some scoring on countless occasions.

I participate because I love to compete and I love to run,” Coach Eileen Pliske said. “I can’t do much with the ball, but it’s a fun atmosphere.”

Faculty members who had never participated before also stepped onto the court. This year, Director of Security Tina Mineo joined the faculty team, leaving her comfort zone and surprising her peers.

As for the results, the game began with the teachers in the lead, but the students caught up quickly and eventually gained a solid lead. However, to much dismay, the teachers soon caught up and evened the score with a 73-73 tie.

• From the Classroom to the Court

NATIONAL

The Government Shutdown, Explained

• From the Classroom to the Court

NEWS

FebFest: A Week in Review

• From the Classroom to the Court

NATIONAL

School Jewish Community Reflects on Tree of Life Shooting

• From the Classroom to the Court

NEWS

Post-AP Political Science Students Promote Civic Engagement via Mock Election

• From the Classroom to the Court

NATIONAL

Bombs Sent to Prominent Democrats

• From the Classroom to the Court

NATIONAL

Students Engage in Midterm Elections

• From the Classroom to the Court

NATIONAL

Judge Brett Kavanaugh Confirmed to the Supreme Court

• From the Classroom to the Court

NATIONAL

Students’ Fight to End Gun Violence Continues in National School Walkout

• From the Classroom to the Court

NEWS

Deadly Incident on Southwest Airlines Flight

• From the Classroom to the Court

NEWS

StuCo Elections Set Stage for 2018-2019 School Year

From the Classroom to the Court